Saturday, November 5, 2011

the private life of a home schooler

I remember sitting on the outside trying to get a good look into the life of a home schooled/ unschooled family.  The same pile of library books on home schooling, ten high before me.  What I wish I knew then was this:

There will be days when no matter what you offer all she wants to do is play a board game about ants while you read to her, and it will be just wonderful
 
There will be times when she will on her own know what is good for her without you having to remind her and that will be hard. Like watching her struggle through 2 hours of patch time.
 There will be moments when she learns in leaps and bounds but instead of being pure joyful it will be a little scary, you will be trying to keep up, worrying if you are enough, & crossing your fingers.
 Despite how often you claim you could never 'Teach' you will enjoy teaching her, yes, even about spiders- YUCK!
 And as she grows she will learn to study.  Learn to dig deep.  Learn to pursue.

 
There will be times when she wants to learn more, do more, be more, and you will need to make another pot of coffee but you will still lose to her.

There will be days when you touched every subject without cracking one text/work book and those days? Those days feel exactly as you think they would they feel like Childhood. 

The other day I told her father, "I think this is really working." 
He laughed kissed me on the head and said, "Baby, I don't know what you are looking for but this has always been working."

1 comment: