Sunday, June 5, 2011

detours west

When we lived in Sugar House we didn't have a driveway.  
We had a teeny tiny garden and baby swing in a small apple tree.  I used to run from our house about 2100 South to Liberty Park around and back.  There were traffic lights and cars and stores and schools and all the other things you find in a city along the route. I thought we were happy walking the well kept sidewalks, seeing the well kept yards, smiling at the well kept neighbors. 

.

But the first time I ran the Jordan River Trail I nearly dropped to my knees & kissed the dirty ground. 
I had no idea heaven was so easy to find.

 


I had no idea life could be so simple.


 Welcome to the hood...
 















What river is this? A river hidden, unheard, unseen, perhaps a distant odor on a summer night and yet there is something here. A river that flows a rancid brown under the sweet smell of green rot and bitter waste of man. Along its worn neglected twisted banks soft beads of quivering light dance through the leaves of cottonwood trees and fall as golden peddles into the murky water below. Down stream past the wild ducks and low stooping oaks the metallic gleam of a shopping cart handle pleads to be plucked from a watery grave. This is the river of Jordan, the Biblical giver of life, or at least its namesake. The worst kind of changeling, abused and neglected it snakes the valley floor calling. Old glen breezes build off the sleeping desert floor, like the trains with their low growls and night songs echoing out from the not so distant train yards, if you are still enough, and listen well you can hear the river calling you home.  mlb '08




Life is cheap here.
Sometimes that is good.
And sometimes that is bad.



Chickens really cross the road.

I walk a block from my house & stand in a field of thousand grasses.





I can run for miles & miles...


 
We moved our family west & none of the people got eaten along the way.





After living West I know we could never go back.
 
 




This is my place.


 


"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Open Secret: Versions of Rumi













"If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones."  Steinbeck 
Kyle LaMalfa




No comments:

Post a Comment